Healthier sausage rolls
These are made using either turkey, chicken or pork mince, and in our experience, children love them. .
- 500g minced turkey or pork
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1 medium courgette, finely grated and excess moisture squeezed out
1 small carrot., finely grated
Flour, for dusting
2cm puff pastry sheets, halved lengthways
1 tablespoon milk
Sesame seeds and poppy seeds, for sprinkling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix together the minced turkey or pork, sage, thyme, nutmeg, one egg, courgette and carrot. Season, cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
3. Place the pasty sheets on a floured work surface.
4. Roll the meat mixture into four long sausage-shaped rolls the same length as the pastry and then lay each one along the centre of each piece of pastry.
5. Mix the remaining egg and milk together in a small bowl and brush the pastry edges with the mixture. Fold the long side of the pastry over the filling and press the pastry with your fingers or the edges of a fork to seal.
6. Cut the rolls into 2cm pieces and place on the baking sheet, leaving a good gap between each one. Brush each one with more of the egg and milk wash and sprinkle with poppy and sesame seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a wired rack to cool.
Tip: To freeze sausage rolls, place them, uncooked in thefreezer on a baking sheet. Once frozen transfer them tofreezer bags or an airtight container. Cook from frozen, as above, for 30-35 minutes, or until they are puffed, golden and piping hot.