Grandma's Lemon Cake
This was a popular recipe from our first cookbook. We have since halved the sugar and it's still sweet and loved by children.
- 175g unsalted butter at room temperature (plus extra for greasing)
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon boiled water
- For the topping:
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180.C/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 900g loaf tin.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together, using a hand-held electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then add the lemon zest and juice. Fold in the flour and ground almonds. Stir in the boiled water to bring the mixture to a smooth consistency.
3. Pour the cake mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until well risen and golden.
4. To make the topping, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. The consistency will be quite runny. Pour over the cake while it is still in the tin, immediately after it comes out the oven.