Children can help rub the mixture with their fingertips until it's a crumbly texture.
- 100g of Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 100g all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- Small pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch black pepper (optional)
- 100g of chilled butter, cut into ¬ľ cm cubes
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
Preheat the oven to 220.C/gas mark 7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. Place the grated cheeses into a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and add the cayenne pepper and black pepper. Add the butter cubes and rub together with your fingertips. When the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, pour in the egg yolk and stir with a knife. Bring the dough together to form a ball and tip onto a lightly floured surface.
3. Shape the dough into a rectangle and then roll until 5mm thick. Trim the edges so you have neat sides. Cut the rectangle into 2cm strips. Place the strips carefully onto the baking sheet, leaving a little room between each one as they will spread during cooking.
4. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until the cheese straws are cooked and golden.
Remove from the oven and leave them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes.
Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. Store in an airtight container for 2–3 days.