Gluten-free carrot cake recipe
This cake is surprisingly delicious considering it is gluten free. Children can help juice the orange, which is what makes it so moist. Serve on its own or with Cream cheese frosting (below).
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
100g caster sugar
300g carrots, coarsely grated
2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
200g gluten-free self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
Juice of 1 orange
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
Cream cheese frosting, to serve (optional)
Cream cheese frosting ingredients
100g cream cheese
100g mascarpone cheese
75g icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round, loosebased cake tin with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Stir in the grated carrot. Gradually stir in the eggs. Then gently fold in the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and orange juice. Stir in the walnuts and tip the mixture into the cake tin.
3. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
4. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. This keeps in the fridge for a few days.
Cream cheese frosting method
In a large bowl beat together the cream cheese mascarpone and icing sugar.