To celebrate National Picnic Week, our nutritionist Charlotte Stirling-Reed shares some delicious and nutritious picnic options for young children. It’s easy to get stuck in a cheese sandwich rut, so we hope these provide some fresh inspiration for your picnic hamper!
Picnics are a great way to change up the mealtime environment, give little ones something fun to look forward to and encourage the social aspect of eating – sitting together and sharing food whilst chatting is a lovely eating experience for children to enjoy.
Picnics are also a good way to encourage little ones to try a variety of different foods. Letting toddlers pick and choose is a great way to give them some independence over their food choices.
So here are some ideas to try with your little picnic fans:
- Veggie muffins are a perfect on the go option. Try my veggie muffin recipe here
- Pasta salads – pesto is a delicious option and tuna, chicken and tomato are all popular choices. Why not try this yummy Kale Pesto from The Little Dish Family Cookbook to add extra goodness
- Sandwiches with a variety of fillings – marmite, salmon, tuna, cheese salad and nut butter are all good options. Don’t forget to vary the bread too – try wraps, sourdough, pitta, fruit bread etc.
- Easy hummus pinwheels – these no-cook pinwheels made with wraps are great for little hands to hold. Hummus, tuna and salmon all make yummy fillings.
- Crackers and oatcakes – spread a little cream cheese, hummus or nut butter on top or take a yummy veggie dip and dip the crackers in like crisps! This Green Pea Hummus from The Little Dish Cookbook would work well
- A quick frittata – dip your frittata in natural yogurt or hummus for a flavour twist. This is a delicious Leek & Potato Frittata from Little Dish
- Pitta Pizzas can also be fun for little picnic fans. Make them in advance and eat them cold – they’re also a great way to use up fridge leftovers
- Pancakes, Healthy Fruit Muffins, Carrot Oat Bars or a box of fresh berries also make delicious picnic hamper fillers. Something a little different to bring extra fun to the day!
I really hope these ideas make your next picnic extra special! For more picnic recipes check out: www.littledish.co.uk/healthier-kids/picnic-ideas