Lamb and barley hotpot recipe
This recipe is easy to assemble because you don't need to brown the meat. It's a good recipe when you want to do the propping in advance and have a lovely family meal emerge from the oven a couple of hours later.
- 700g lamb shoulder or neck fillet, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 large red potatoes (about 500g), medium sliced
- 2 onions, sliced into medium rings
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 360ml lamb or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3.
2. In a medium casserole dish, arrange the lamb, potatoes and onion in layers, a third of the mixture for each, seasoning each layer with freshly ground pepper. Finish with a top layer of potatoes. Sprinkle the fresh thyme leaves on top, pour in the stock and sprinkle over the pearl barley.
3. Put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened.
Have you tried?
Cottage Pie is a firm family favourite and this recipe is a real crowd pleaser. Our delicious Cottage Pie contains tender British beef mince and lentils in a tasty tomato and veg sauce, which provides 2 of your little one's 5-a-day. It's topped with our potato and veg mash which you can oven cook for an extra crispy top. YUM!View Product